Thursday, March 3, 2011

Moving Forward ...

Well, well, well ... the changes that come so unexpectedly that are such blessings!
DH is actually looking into changing his career path!! :D I am sooo happy for him. He has been in the automotive industry for 30 years. He's coached the kids in football and baseball and is now umpiring/officiating. He's thought about making the jump to full-time officiating for just over a year now but never could put the time commitment into it that it would require due to his day job. Now with the layoff HE CAN!!! I approached him about it this morning when I came in from classes and he says, "You know it's funny you mention that cause I was just thinking about that and [my friend] was even talking to me about that just a little while ago." He could easily make more than he did in the automotive industry doing something he truly enjoys. So I'm all for it.

This led to me possibly getting recertified in child birth education, lactation education, teen education, ante-partum, labor, and post-partum doula services again. I enjoyed that so much but several factors led me into shying away from it some years ago. Those reasons have passed. So if I ever had the option to jump back and get recertified then I would. I might be able to do it! My training classes and such definitely cost way more than DH's training classes so it would be a bit harder for me to do so. One problem I run into is needing a partner. I have a couple of people I could approach so I think I will discuss this a little further and then maybe I'll be ready to take the plunge back in there by the time May roles around. If not, it will be September before I can even think about it due to training scheduling. I can still go to school, still be home most of the time with the children (DH would fill in the time I couldn't), still homeschool, and yet bring in money to the family fold :)

I think I really need to pray on this... I love what I'm going to school for. I absolutely love the field and it excites me to no end. BUT I also love the childbirth/newborn field. I need to pray about where God wants me to be. What benefits my family the most, what is best for me, what is *my* calling to be? Perhaps it is a combination of both. Perhaps the childbirth scene is a "for now" thing until I can get my medical degree ... perhaps I shouldn't get my medical degree, perhaps I shouldn't go back into field I've already left, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps ... perhaps I should just pray!

As for DH though, I have known for a long time that he would be so very happy being an official. It's just something he really enjoys from the heart. If he could get paid to coach little kids I think that is truly where he finds happiness :) But he can't volunteer his whole life.... but I bet he finds a way to coach again when grandkids come around and are old enough to play :) We're still going to pray on this as well, though, but I'm really hoping he can get out of a field that demands so much of his time, yet gives him no satisfaction at all. He's so very honest (which we believe is one of the reasons they let him go and not because of seniority since three senior people were let go in the first two rounds of layoffs instead of him) - it kills him to see people overcharged, it kills him to have to try and sell work that people can't afford but he has to try and make it sound like they can't get by without it, all of that bothers him. It would cost the company money when he would correct labor costs - while the other two that are left wouldn't... they always had overcharges. ... We just found out their pay was cut to $200 a week and they get a commission on labor charges once a month - makes you want to charge as much labor as possible doesn't it when your paycheck depends on it ... both men are in knots thinking about it. It makes me ever so grateful that DH was the one that was let go ... in fact both men have said as much - that he was the lucky one. I honestly and truly believe so as well. God has always, always looked after me throughout my entire life, and I don't believe He will stop now.

It's odd, but I want to cry right now as I'm so happy about all of this! This is certainly a great way to start off Great Lent, is it not?? Relying on God for every single thing ... what a sweet, sweet feeling that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment