Friday, May 7, 2010

Headache Answer

I'm hoping to make several posts today about things that are on my mind - it just depends on a bunch of stuff - namely how my neck holds up as my neck and back have been under a lot of tension from the headaches.

So anyway, for weeks I've had a constant headache that never let up ... it changed several times and became migraine strength and also got down to just there enough to make me irritable. For a few months prior to that I had a lot of headaches but not one continuous headache like this go round.

So anyway, I make it to the doc and at first was given meds - no meds worked AT ALL including the shot they finally gave me that should have knocked it out in 20 min. It didn't and by the time I got home it was nearly the same strength it was when I arrived. All the shot did was relieve the neck and back pain for a little while.

I had no evidence of a sinus infection or allergies as my nasal cavity was totally clear thanks to my neti pot use. That has been awesome by the way not to be stopped up and being able to breath constantly and consistently.

So the next day I emailed the doc and updated her so she ordered an MRI to see what that showed. I got one that afternoon and the results the next day ... severe sinusitis in every other sinus cavity in my head but not my nasal cavity!!! No wonder she couldn't find anything ... the other cavities can't be seen visually and usually the nasal cavity will show the same evidence as the other cavities BUT with the regular use of the neti pot, my nasal cavity was clear. Sooooo, since it is so bad, I am opting for allopathic meds for this one. Antibiotics and steroids. Only been taking them for half a day and feel better... of course that's the steroids shrinking the swelling taking pressure off my head and relieving the headache and considering all the stuff I've taken it's the only thing that will help right now until the antibiotics really start clearing it out (which are some heavy duty stuff, not just amox or ceph or pen, etc).

From now on though, I will pay attention to the particular pains I have and start taking lots of garlic and honey as I have for many other things to take care of it immediately. Should we ever be in a position where we can't get to antibiotics I will have to make sure I stay on top of symptoms as soon as they arrive instead of just pushing through like I've done with these headaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment